Child dentist Dana Chianese first found the mold inside Sophie the Giraffe. She first said that to the Good Housekeeping that until now she recommended the toy to parents of babies.
“I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside. Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant’s favorite chew toy!”
The toy is created in 1961 by the French company Vulli. It’s made out of latex and has a small hole to let air get out as the child squeezes it. “If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with mold! We’ve had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold”, she wrote on Amazon.
Later another mom claimed that she also found mold in the toy. A spokesman for Vulli told MailOnline that the cleaning instructions for the toy must be “carefully respected”. It’s important to know that Sophie the Giraffe is composed of 100 per cent natural rubber, so the cleaning instructions have to be carefully respected”.
“As indicated on the packaging and in an explanatory leaflet inside the packaging, we recommend to clean the surface of Sophie la girafe with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in the water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside, as she may become damaged”. The company claimed it had not been made aware of the complaints but would be taking them “very seriously”, News.com.au reported.
On Fox News Chianese says she’s followed the instructions, but that hasn’t stopped the mold. Who is right? We can’t know, but it’s a heads up to be careful if you own such toys.