Madigan has made the list for 10 years now. She wanst to help families plan accordingly and avoid risky toys and other gifts while shopping.
Her Safe Shopping Guide features descriptions and photos of toys, games, furniture, baby items and clothing that is posing a risk. It’s based on the recalls of said items throughout the year.
“I am proud my office has helped busy and overwhelmed parents make sure their homes are free of unsafe toys and products for the past 10 years”, Madigan says in a press release.
“This year’s recalled products include toys, motorized/electric ride-on toys and scooters, clothing, strollers and other baby gear, as well as furniture and household items. A significant number of toys and clothing items were recalled for choking hazards, including small parts that can break off of toys or snaps and buttons that can detach from clothing”, Madigan writes in the guide.
The CPSC has issued the following safety tips about fidget spinners:
• Keep fidget spinners away from children under three years of age.
• Beware of plastic and metal spinners that have small pieces that can be a choking hazard. Choking incidents involving children up to age 14 have been reported.
• Be cautious of “light-up” fidget spinners that may come with button or lithium coin cell batteries. These batteries are an ingestion risk for children and the larger lithium coin cells can lead to severe burns in the esophagus.
• Warn children of all ages not to put fidget spinners or small pieces in their mouths and not to play with the fidget spinners near their faces.
And the dangerous toys list:
- Studio Fun International Recalls Slap Bracelets Sold with Children’s Storybooks
- Hallmark Recalls Plush Baby Stacking Toys
- BRIO Recalls Baby Rattles
- Panelcraft Recalls Children’s Building Sets
- Manhattan Toy Recalls Activity Toys
- TOMY Recalls Munching Max Chipmunk Toys
- Hobby Lobby Recalls Easter and July 4th Light-Up Spinner Toys
- Douglas Recalls Plush Toys
- Little Passports Recalls Science Kits
- Horizon Hobby Recalls Remote-Controlled Model Vehicles
- Target Recalls Water Absorbing Toys
- Juratoys Recalls Toy Trolleys
- Target Recalls Magnetic Tic Tac Toe Games
- Kids II Recalls Oball Rattles
- Little Tikes Recalls Toddler Swings
- Moose Toys Recalls Toy Frogs
- Feld Entertainment Recalls Toy Wands
- Active Kyds Recalls Children’s Toy Shovels and Garden Tool Sets
- Toys “R” Us Recalls Infant Wiggle Balls
- Kids Preferred Recalls Wind-Up Musical Toys
- PlanToys Recalls Baby Gyms
The full Safe Shopping Guide and lists are on the Attorney’s General website (pdf).