Throw your stuffed animals away! No, no. Of course not. Relax, we’re kidding. We love stuffed animals, as much as you do, if not more.
There are many other ways which you should do if your child has allergies. They are things that go beyond simply washing the stuffed animals often.
The most often symptoms of an allergy are sneezing, stuffed nose, runny nose, itching, post-nasal drip, itchy eyes, coughing. They show due to various reasons – too much dust, pollen, mold. People can even have an allergy of the saliva from a dog, dust mites and many more. It’s best to consult your doctor if you have suspicions you or your child might have an allergy.
While the types of allergies vary a lot, there’s one thing in common in the way to minimize the effects of them. It’s obvious, really: minimize the contact and exposure to the thing that causes the allergic reaction.
Minimizing allergic reactions
Stuffed animals can be a problem if your child is allergic to dust mites, dust, pollen or other similar things. The fluffy and furry toys absorb all of the above like sponges. But the same is valid for bedding, couches, blankets and other fabrics.
So, it’s important to keep the room cleaned often. Vacuum and dust the room at least twice a week, especially if there’s a lot of dust in your house. You can also vacuum the stuffed animals. Also, keep most of them in a cupboard, closet or a toy chest and bring them out only for play time. You can tell the child that the stuffies want to rest at their homes when they don’t play. Here’s how to deal with dust mites on stuffed animals.
If your child loves to carry the stuffed animal outside, then it’s even more important to keep it clean. Check the label of the toy for how to properly wash it as each toy is different. But outside, the stuffed animal can gather pollen, dirt and other allergens, so if the child is allergic to some of them, you have to keep the toy as clean as possible. All of this won’t solve the allergy completely, but it may and should minimize the effects from it to a more manageable level. For medications, always consult your doctor.