One of the best selling toy series in the world celebrates its 50th Anniversary. Yes, it’s Hot Wheels! Based on units sold, Hot Wheels are even the best selling toy in the world. And they have quite the history.
Back in 1968 an innovator, a rocket scientist and a car designer created the first Hot Wheels 1:64 scale die-cast cars. Their work was so good, that even to this days people all over the world love to collect Hot Wheels cars.
“For 50 years Hot Wheels’ intuitive vehicle play-pattern has contributed to its success as the number-one selling toy in the world,” said Chris Down, Senior Vice President and Global Brand GM, Hot Wheels.
“Since its introduction in 1968, the brand has evolved from a simple toy into a true lifestyle brand that champions the challenger spirit through gaming, digital content, partnerships and live experiences spanning multiple generations and ages — this has allowed the brand to remain relevant to kids and adults and see record growth over the past three years.”
To mark the special occasion, Mattel is starting a series of experiences, content and new products. All of this has a year-long lineup, so there will be plenty of stuff for the fans.
Hot Wheels is launching the largest Hot Wheels travelling car show in search of a custom car worthy of being made into a Hot Wheels die-cast toy. The tour launched at Hot Wheels headquarters in April 2018 and will be visiting 14 Walmart stores across America. One winner will be chosen from each stop to win a spot for their car to be shown at the world-renowned SEMA Auto Show where one vehicle will be chosen and immortalized as a Hot Wheels.
Mattel is also holding three contests: The Hot Wheels Junior Series Built by Woodward, The Hot Wheels INDYCAR Junior Grand Prix Powered by K1 Speed and Hot Wheels Athlete Sponsorships.
And there’s more! The largest theme park in Latin America, Beto Carrero will open an immersive brand experience with a dedicated Hot Wheels themed area within the park. The area will feature over 7.5 acres dedicated to Hot Wheels, including a live-stunt show, themed restaurant and retail shop with plans for additional experiential attractions.
Also, Hot Wheels™: Race to Win™ Exhibit will return to the world’s largest children museum on May 19, 2018. Fans will get a firsthand look at the thrilling science, speed and safety of motorsports with Hot Wheels cars and tracks, positioned alongside full-sized racecars, artifacts and memorabilia.
Mattel introduces new updates to the Hot Wheels brand in 4 new lines. Coming straight from the official release:
Hot Wheels 50th Originals Collection: On May 18, the official birthday for Hot Wheels, the brand will release replicas of five Hot Wheels originals from the “Sweet 16” with legacy graphics, original packaging and original detailed Spectraflame™ paint, Redline wheels and a collectible button. Each car will include a code where one-winner in the United States will win a life-size 50th anniversary Hot Wheels Camaro.
- Hot Wheels™ City: For the youngest Hot Wheels fan, the brand is introducing Hot Wheels City, a system of play that blends imaginative vehicle “push-around” play and classic “crash-and-bash” action.
- Hot Wheels Augmoto™: Using augmented reality and connected play, Hot Wheels Augmoto is a smart-device-controlled track-set that adds unprecedented control and gaming to a physical Hot Wheels racing experience.
- Hot Wheels Rocket League: Hot Wheels has seen tremendous success in the gaming space, and in 2017, the brand partnered with Rocket League to put Hot Wheels vehicles in the world-renowned game that mixes driving with soccer. The Hot Wheels integration was so successful that the two-brands are releasing a physical version of the game as an RC arena set (Hot Wheels Rocket League RC Rivals Set) in holiday 2018 and additional in-game DLC later this year.
- The Hot Wheels Book by Assouline: This ultimate collectors’ book encapsulates Hot Wheels history through photography. It chronicles the origins and technical evolution of the toy, and where Hot Wheels brand is today. The book will be available in June 2018.
- 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin: In Australia, the team will be releasing a 50th anniversary commemorative coin. The coin will be nearly 100 percent silver and feature two Hot Wheels cars and the 50th anniversary logo. Only 5,000 of these coins will be released in 2018.
Yep, that’s a lot. And there are more partnerships, content and other initiatives coming. Fans of Hot Wheels will truly have quite the year ahead of them.