Authorities issue a warning for toys with small disc batteries

Authorities issue a warning for toys with small disc batteries
Image credit: Flickr (CC) / Christiaan Triebert

As kids get to enjoy a lot of presents during this time of the year, their parents should also be extra vigilant. Especially about toys with batteries.

The New Jersey Poison Control Center says it knows about 30 children going to a hospital in 2019 alone, because of small disc batteries. They are in many toys, decorations and other small electronics, NewJersey101.5 reports.

These batteries are small and kids can swallow them with ease and not even feel them. Sometimes the parents even don’t know that has happened.

Swallowing such a battery is very dangerous, as it’s toxic and can literally burn a hole inside of the body. This is why parents should be extra careful with such electronics.

They should make sure their kids know about the risks if they are of age which they can understand that. Also, make sure that the battery compartments are well secured and try and keep these toys and items away from kids when there’s no adult supervision.

Also, check the batteries regularly. If one is missing and you suspect that your child may have swallowed it, immediate medical attention is required. Don’t wait for symptoms, instead go to the doctor for a check-up. It’s better to be safe than sorry.